2/3/13

6



From Jeremy, going as follows:
I’m watching her die as she stands over me. She catches fire and melts away into nothingness. I know she’s dead because she’s not inside of me any longer. 


I’m running. It’s impossible to navigate through this forest of televisions. The sky is static, the ground is shaking. I can feel pieces of it breaking apart and changing. The atmosphere isn’t crackling with energy any more- now it’s splintering. Everything’s on fire.

I keep running for two hours. My legs are numb but I’ve learned to ignore pain. Once I’m out of the forest, it’s nothing but horizon and hardwood in all directions.


Then, in the distance, I see a door. I run for it, and once I’m inside, I watch from the doorway. Everything is shifting, and it’s making me sick. The entire Domain is coming alive.


I run deep into the City, and I only stop when I see another person. My legs and back are bleeding, badly.


She’s a nice girl. I never think to ask her name, and we wander for a while until we see a camp, of sorts. It’s a massive neighborhood, full of houses.


Weeks pass. She and I are living together. I learn that her name is Heidi. We’re in love, and my wounds are almost healed.


An offer comes into our settlement. There are others, apparently. They want anyone with the ability to write down an account of what happened to them, or words of advice to those who will follow, or their thoughts on their life.


There’s not much to say, but I take up a pen and fulfill this little duty. There’s very little to do, nowadays.


We can’t outsit eternity, obviously. Some people believe that the City will be taken out in one fell swoop, but I’d say the decay is slower, and more natural.


What happened to the Domains is probably happening here- everything may be twisting out of shape right in front of our eyes. How would we know? I think it’s of far more importance for us to focus on what happened. The future is, especially now, an unknown quantity.


I know that there is a Fear which people say has the ability to wipe out other Fears, and pieces of existence. But I also understand that it can destroy these things retroactively, which raises the question of how people can remember. It also raises the question of what the Domains are doing.


I would not call this a great act destruction. It’s more of a metamorphosis. There’s something else, bigger than the Fears, which seems to be stirring.


I’m unaware of anything that would fit that description, but I certainly hope that you, dear reader, don’t share it.


And while I could continue to write and bore you with the stories of a doomed man, I think I’ll end this letter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment